Wednesday, October 13, 2010

So Many Books, So Little Time!

I adore books. Reading them, buying them, smelling them, organizing them, and most of all, sharing them! I also have a bad habit of buying more books than I have time to read. But lately I've been making a concerted effort to knock some of those books off my list. This week I finished two different books, both of which I thought were great reads and would happily recommend them to anyone.

First, is Eat, Pray, Love. For a long time, I wasn't sure how I felt about this book. I wasn't really sold on all the hype nor was I even that drawn to it just by the front cover. But the book was lent to me by a friend's mom, and I finally got around to cracking it open. It turns out it was better than I expected. It was slow in parts and I got frustrated with the author's whining a few times, but overall it was a really cool story. Not many people get the chance to experience all the different cultures she did. And my favorite part of the book is that while she does her own soul searching, I as the reader found that I was doing a little of my own. So if you get a chance to read it, do so. It probably won't be your favorite book ever, but will definitely get you thinking!

And second, is a book called The Inn at Lake Devine. It was lent to me by a coworker in what she likes to call her inter-office book club. Basically, we send books to each other through the inter-office mail that we think each other will enjoy. This book is set in the sixties and seventies and follows a stubborn Jewish girl who refuses to be told no, she can't visit this New England resort because Jews really aren't welcome there. So she makes a friend at summer camp and gets invited along with her family, which sparks a long series of events that lands our beloved main character [and narrator] in the midst of tragedy and awkwardness and a torrid love affair all at once. I started reading this book back at the end of June. And then accidentally left it at my parents' house in New York on the 4th of July. So they recently brought it back to me and I picked it up the other night before bed. I couldn't stop turning the pages. I was literally up until almost 2AM, dying to find out what was happening next. Needless to say, it was a quick, easy, and delightful read.

I know I didn't originally intend for this blog to be about books. But there are some I just can't keep to myself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment