Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sometimes I Ramble

So I'm pretty excited to be heading back to Indiana tomorrow. I miss that place way more than I ever expected to. I am well into my usual pre-trip routine. Which of course means I have four things in my suitcase and I have taken a break to watch Glee and do a little blogging. It also means that there are clothes I need to take with me in the dryer at the moment and my apartment is kind of a disaster area.

There musn't be very many people flying from Baltimore to Indianapolis tomorrow night, because I still got an A boarding pass and I didn't check in online until an hour after I was allowed. I'm cool with that, though. It means that when I fall asleep on the plane, as I always do, and start mouthbreathing, there won't be anybody next to me to get grossed out by my drooling.

Anyway, I'm going back to HoosierLand for the wedding of two great friends I met during grad school. If knowing the two of them means anything, this will certainly prove to be all but a conventional wedding. It will be goofy and oddly romantic, beautiful and still simple, honest but hopeful. These two are so comfortable with themselves, with each other, and with their relationship. And to top it off they have one of those cutesy yet funny how-they-met stories. They were both crushing on each other, but she was younger and thought he saw her as a dumb freshman while he thought she just plain old hated him. Something made her kiss him one day and the rest is history. Oh, and their first dance is likely going to be Sir Mix-A-Lot's Baby Got Back. SO bring on the weekend!

Anyway, I'm going to a wedding on Friday and just went to a funeral on Sunday. I didn't know the lady really well, but it was very sudden and she was a big part of the camp community in this region. The funeral home was packed to the MAXX and the people there even filled the hallway outside the main room. The minister told this random story about fishing and how it relates to how short life is despite how long it may seem. And this got me thinking about how truly insignificant we all are in the grand scheme of things.

As much as we all like to think (and rightfully so) that our lives make a difference, when we die, the world just keeps on a-turning. I can't remember if it was in real life or on TV, but I once heard someone say that dying is just as big a part of life as living. So I wonder then why most people are so afraid of it. And then I think about it more and realize that we are afraid of dying because we are afraid of living.

Obviously we all wake up every morning (sometimes feeling like P Diddy) and continue breathing. But how much do we truly live each day? We go through the motions. We don't take that many chances. We play it safe and then wonder why we have so many regrets when we get old. I really don't know what I'm trying to say exactly, but my mind just keeps wondering.

And I've decided that I'm going to try really hard to stop worrying about the little things. What? I said I'm gonna TRY!

No comments:

Post a Comment