Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Shrinking Significance of the Standing Ovation

I am certain I am not the first person to think of or write about this.  I was at an event this weekend during which it seemed like we (the audience) were giving out standing ovations as easily as Halloween candy.  And, the last time I checked, the standing ovation was for someone or something of great significance.  It wasn't just something you did every time someone received an award or certificate of appreciation.  It isn't just this weekend's festivities that got me thinking about this, either.  I've been bothered by it for quite some time.

Let's go back to high school, or even middle school, band.  Only the most spectacular performances were applauded with empty seats.  I remember this happening a lot in college.  Granted, I did spend the majority of my time with music majors and attended my fair share of recitals, concerts, and shows over the course my time there.  But it was there more than ever that I felt I could decide whether or not I enjoyed the performance enough to stand and applaud at the end.  It was there that people really put their hearts and souls into what they were doing, and truly appreciated an honest response to their performances.

I feel that the almost-always-obligatory standing ovation of these days is indicative of the millennial generation.  It's practically required for anything other than the run of the mill.  There's always that awkward, "Do I stand? Do I not stand?" moment.  Because now, it isn't about whether or not you believe the awardee/performer/etc. deserves the additional honor, it's about what everyone else in the audience is doing.

And you know what I say to that?  No more! I will no longer stand when I don't believe it is deserved.  I will be okay with going against the grain.  Who's with me in my quest to restore significance to the standing ovation?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like everything else, the more commonly it's done, the less significance it has. I don't like looking like a curmudgeon if I stay in my seat for an average or even ho-hum performance, nor to I like the hypocrisy of rising to my feet due to peer pressure. It depresses me when something loses its value, standing ovations included.

    ReplyDelete